Healing Relationships... Healing the Self
Psychotherapy helps heal DEPRESSION ANXIETY DISORDERS (PTSD, panic attacks, phobias) RELATIONSHIP ISSUES (such as poor communication, anger and sexual problems) TRAUMA (emotional, physical or sexual abuse, other upsetting experiences); GRIEF STRESS and promotes PERSONAL DEVELOPMENT.
I practice an approach that supports:
- LEARNING TO MEET LIFE'S CHALLENGES WITH INCREASING MENTAL AND EMOTIONAL FLEXIBILITY
- FACING PROBLEMS WITH CURIOUSITY AND INCREASED PRESENCE OF MIND, RATHER THAN WITH OLD BEHAVIOR PATTERNS, ALLOWING NEW POSSIBILITIES AND OPPORTUNITIES TO EMERGE
- RESPONDING TO INEVITABLE FAILURES (BY SELF AND OTHERS) WITH ACCOUNTABILITY AND COMPASSION, NOT BLAME
I have over 30 years of counseling and psychotherapy experience. I am a Level 2 EMDR Therapist, a Certified Sex Therapy Diplomate through The American Association of Sex Educators Counselors and Therapists (AASECT), and a member of The American Society of Clinical Hypnosis (ASCH). I am Co-Director of The Milton H. Erickson Institute of Austin, a training facility for therapists.
I provide a safe environment and use an active, forthright style to help you:
- get to the heart of the problems you are facing and make changes that matter
- "rewire" emotional and body triggers so you have more peace and well-being, less pain
- change old patterns and meet life challenges in new ways
- use existing conflict to breathe new life into relationships
- heal wounds from trauma, abuse and neglect
- relieve anxiety and panic, cure phobias
- change feelings of emptiness and worthlessness
- deal with stress, depression, and excessive anger
- explore sexual concerns and dysfunction
- move through grief, including divorce recovery and pet loss
- develop increased compassion toward self and others
Some of the therapeutic approaches and techniques I use include:
- Ericksonian Psychotherapy and Hypnosis
- Self-Relations Psychotherapy
- Relationship Therapy
- Sex Therapy
- Mindfulness and other Self-Awarenss Approaches
These tools help you LEARN TO FACE PROBLEMS WITH INCREASED CURIOUSITY AND PRESENCE OF MIND, rather than with old behavior patterns, allowing new possibilities and opportunities to emerge.
More than 30 years of study and practice allow me to help you define and accomplish your goals in a timely manner. Married over 30 years, I have learned a great deal about nurturing the good in relationships to keep them alive, meeting inevitable difficulties with resolve and creativity, and using problems as motivation to create a path to deep healing. To paraphrase Jack Nicholson, love can make you want to be a better person.
Occasionally I work with an individual or a couple in a relationship beyond repair. If a client decides to end a relationship, we work toward an ending that is respectful of everyone involved.
I am grateful to have a profession I enjoy, one in which my natural interests and talents are of benefit to my clients. My work is practical, and it goes deep. If this sounds interesting, please call for a consultation.
In addition to my clinical practice, I am available for supervision toward Social Work Licensure and case consultation.
Seyma Calihman, LCSW, LMFT
605 Baylor St. • Austin, Texas 78703
512 474-9020 Ext.1